Monday, July 27, 2009

20 ninth








Baltimore was weird; but in a good sense. It is a beautiful city, infused with salty air from the ocean bays and history. It is cultured and open. Alongside its avenues you can also catch a glimpse of the nowadays.

Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to get to know lady B. but it only means that I’ll B back 4 more in Baltimore.

The reason is that we spent 5 (yes five) straight hours in the aquarium. Indoor aquarium. It is National Aquarium in Baltimore. I would describe our visit but refrain for no particular reason. Let’s just say, besides giving the kids what they wanted, I’ve learned few new things:

a) * To bring earplugs next time I am taking kids to such establishment;

b) * Friday is a national day for summer camp field day;

c) * Do not send my kids to summer camp or on a summer camp field trip;

d) *4D theaters are AWESOME;

e) I would never survive if I worked under water: 5 hours of darkness was enough for the rest of my life!

As the old saying goes, you live and learn.



Next day, we set off to Washington DC. It was a short ride from our stay but mostly a standstill in the traffic. Entering Washington I could not help but awe at the cleanliness of the city. I had a feeling as if it was a movie prop, a history book illustration. It was just as perfect as I imagined. Well, at least on the outside. The weather was great: sunny but breezy. Kids were happy exploring one memorial after another, and I could not get enough of the contrast of white stone architecture on the background of azure blue sky. The air in the city was breathing patriotism and respect, formality and calm with a hint of street food carts eats. Seemed like no one lived here, just visitors with cameras and pamphlets roaming around, with their index finger ready to point to a sigh. Since it was Saturday, there was not many men-in-suites on the streets, but I can imagine that they are mixed in with tourists in shorts and t-shirts just fine on a busy street during weekday lunch hour.

We got tired from our pilgrimage voyage around the city as most of it was done by foot, finishing at he fence of the White House, followed a nice stretch on the grass with an ice-cream pop. It was a perfect day in a picture-perfect city.

Next day Philadelphia was on our way home. We couldn’t pass it by because I promised my mom to take her there during her visit this summer; she liked it, but I feel we need to go back, just me and her…

We will be back for more, not only to Baltimore!

No comments: